Prestigious scholarships are within a group of awards that share a common theme, which is to provide opportunities for outstanding individuals to live up to their potential as Australian and global citizens. The scholarships are aimed at individuals who can demonstrate academic excellence, leadership qualities and commitment to contributing to a better future for society and the community. A selection of the major awards is given below.
Consistent with the level of these awards, applicants will have developed over a significant period of time a portfolio of achievement that reflects the intent of the scholarship. See the Portfolio section for suggestions about the types of activity and qualities that can support an application.
Information sessions about these scholarships are held in the months before the open. For more information on the next session, please see our events page.
Don Watts High Achiever Scholarship
Intention: To recognise recipient's achievements and contributions to one or more of the following fields: leadership, community service, sports, arts/culture or entrepreneurship.
Where: Curtin Bentley Campus
Duration: This scholarship covers recipients for the duration of their undergraduate course
Citizenship: Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, Australian permanent humanitarian visa, New Zealand citizen and International students
- Applications for nomination normally close early March
New Colombo Plan Scholarship
Intention: To lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia and strengthen our people-to-people and institutional relationships, through study and work placement undertaken by Australian undergraduate students in the region.
Where: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam
Duration: Up to 6 months
Citizenship: Applicants must be Australian citizens
- New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program
- Expression of interest for nomination
- Applications from nominated students normally close late August
Intention: To develop outstanding leaders who would be motivated to fight "the world's fight" and to "esteem the performance of public duties as their highest aim", and to promote international understanding and peace.
Where: University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Duration: Normally two years, discretionary third year
Citizenship: Applicants must meet the citizenship and residency requirements of the Rhodes constituency for which they are applying
- Rhodes Scholarship Australia website
- Applications normally open 1 June in the year previous to taking up the scholarship and close 1 September
John Monash Scholarship
Intention: To enable individuals to make a leadership contribution to their fields of endeavour and to the Australian and global community in their subsequent careers.
Where: Any non-Australian university considered to be amongst the global leaders in your chosen field of study
Duration: Up to three years
Citizenship: Applicants must be Australian citizens
- General Sir John Monash Foundation website
- Applications normally open late April/early May in the year previous to taking up the scholarship and close in August
Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships
The Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships encompass merit-based scholarships for both international to come to study in Australia and for Australian citizens to study abroad.
This section focuses on the scholarships for Australian citizens.
- Develop on-going educational, research and professional linkages between individuals, organisations and countries
- Provide opportunities for high achieving individuals from Australia and overseas to increase their skills and enhance their global awareness
- Contribute to Australia's position as a high quality education and training provider, and a leader in research and innovation
- Increase the productivity of Australians through an international study, research or professional development experience.
Where: Depends on specific award
Duration: Depends on specific award
Citizenship: Australian citizenship required for outgoing applications
- Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships website
- Applications normally open April in the year previous to taking up the scholarship and close 30 June
If you are unsure of which scholarship or fellowship you wish to apply for, Endeavour have developed a flow diagram to make it easy for you:
Intention: To further mutual understanding between the people of Australia and the United States through educational and cultural exchange.
This is primarily achieved through the administration of Fulbright Scholarships to support students and scholars – chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential – to research and study in each other's countries, exchange ideas and develop bilateral relations and connections to address common issues.
Where: United States of America
Duration: Up to 12 months
Citizenship: Australian citizens by birth or naturalisation (note: dual US/Australian citizenship holders are ineligible).
- Fulbright Australia website
- Applications normally open May in the year previous to taking up the scholarship and close 31 August
Frank Knox Fellowship
Intention: The Frank Knox Memorial Fellowship program provides funding for students from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to conduct graduate study at Harvard University. Frank Knox Memorial Fellows are selected on the basis of outstanding academic excellence, strength of character, and potential for leadership in their fields.
Where: Harvard University, USA
Duration: Normally up to two years of study (in degree programs requiring more than one year of study, renewals after the second year considered on a case-by-case basis).
Citizenship: Applicants must meet the academic, citizenship and residency requirements of the Knox Fellowship awards.