Need more information?
About the loan
An Emergency Student Loan is an interest free loan to provide temporary assistance to Curtin students in times of unexpected financial hardship and is available to students enrolled in an award course at Curtin and studying at a location within Australia, excluding Curtin Sydney.
An Emergency Student Loan is not available to assist with expenses associated with studying, such as tuition fees and incidental charges or to supplement income, to repay existing commercial debt (e.g. a bank loan or credit card debt) or for recreational expenses.
An Emergency Student Loan is limited to a maximum amount of $2000, will be disbursed by electronic bank transfer or cheque and have an expected repayment date of six (6) months from the date the loan is approved.
To be eligible to apply for an Emergency Student Loan a student must:
- Have a current enrolment in an award course at a Curtin location within Australia, excluding Curtin Sydney;
- Have no outstanding debt to Curtin. Outstanding debt can include fines, charges, tuition fees and payment plans;
- Have a satisfactory academic record;
- Be able to demonstrate temporary, unexpected financial need and provide documentation to support their situation;
- Provide documented evidence to demonstrate capability to repay the loan;
- Demonstrate that the circumstances that have led to the need for a loan is not due to avoidable or inappropriate behaviour by the student; and
- Have not been found guilty of student misconduct.
If a student applying for an Emergency Student Loan has a history of late payment of fees and charges, this may be taken into consideration when assessing the application.
Some examples of situations that may warrant favourable consideration include, but are not limited to:
- Unexpected expenses arising from illness or death of a family member;
- Urgent accommodation and living expenses resulting from an unexpected change in normal circumstances; and/or
- Urgent and unexpected medical expenses.
Please see the Emergency Student Loans Policy within the Scholarships and Financial Assistance Manual [.pdf].