Establishing an undergraduate or coursework scholarship
Sponsoring a scholarship
Setting up an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework scholarship is straightforward - please contact the Scholarships Office with an outline of your proposal.
We will require some specific information to set up a scholarship:
- Name and purpose of scholarship - typically includes the name of the benefactor or business and/or the area of study for the award, i.e. postgraduate/undergraduate. Flexibility in naming options allows you to name scholarships in memory of a loved one, in honour of anniversaries or events, or in recognition of an organisation or area of interest.
- Eligibility Criteria - who is the target group for the proposed award? The following are a sample of options you may wish to consider:
- Postgraduate/undergraduate and/or stage of study
- Specific subject, course, or general field of study
- Full-time/part-time students
- Number, tenure and value of awards - these parameters may vary depending on the size of the donation and the intended support for the student; however, there are a number of different options that may be considered. Namely, one or more award:
- with a tenure of one semester,
- with a tenure of one year,
- with a tenure of the remainder of the course, or
- to sponsor a research project.
- Selection criteria - for many scholarships, the primary criteria are either academic achievement or financial need. Secondary criteria that reflect other attributes important to the donor may augment this. Additional criteria, such as demonstrated leadership skills and community involvement, may also be prescribed.
There are no administration charges levied by the University and advertising is free on our Scholarships website and University publicity material. Direct marketing is possible to required cohorts of students through OASIS.
A scholarship can be tailored to your requirements and matters such as the eligibility criteria and the amount of funding can be set by you, with our staff happy to advise on issues such as equity and process. If required, we can prepare application forms, facilitate in the selection process and arrange payment for the students.
Setting up a scholarship gives a company an early opportunity to choose from the best, to assess if they are right for the company through work experience and finally to employ a new graduate who is not only work ready but also company ready.
Some scholarships can be offset against tax (ATO can advise) or there may be the potential to co-fund scholarships with the University.