Skip to content
Curtin University


Not what you're looking for?

For more advice you can:


For advice on your Centrelink payments and how your scholarship could affect your payment, contact a Centrelink Office. The closest to the Bentley Campus can be found at Cannington and Victoria Park. Alternatively, find your closest Centrelink Office with the Department of Human Services website.

If you require a letter about your scholarship for Centrelink, please contact the Scholarships Office.

Commonwealth Scholarships are not assessed as income for social security purposes. In addition, any equity or merit scholarship of less than $7233 pa will not affect your Centrelink payment.

Provided you are a full-time student, money paid by the University towards your HECS fees (student contribution) is not considered as income.


Enrolled students of the University undertaking approved work/field experience and participating in approved field trip excursions may be covered under the University's Personal Accident Insurance Policy in the event of injuries sustained while participating in authorised activities.

Please view the appropriate Certificate of Currency for detailed insurance information.

Should you have further queries regarding insurance cover, please see the Risk Management website.


Generally scholarship money paid to full-time students is not treated as taxable income, but if your study load is less than 75 credits (part-time) your scholarship money is not tax exempt. Other than the full-time study requirement, the general rule is that Scholarships are exempt from taxation unless:

The Australian Tax Office has a tool to help you determine if your scholarship is taxable.

For expert advice please contact the Australian Taxation Office or your accountant.

If a letter regarding your scholarship is required for taxation purposes, please contact the Scholarships Office.