2019 Curtin Strategic Stipend Scholarship
Applications open: 1/07/2018
Applications close: 2/09/2018
About this scholarship
Curtin Strategic Stipend Scholarships are funded by Curtin University and awarded to students of exceptional research potential undertaking a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) to assist with general living costs.
Applicants will submit a complete scholarship application, as well as provide supporting evidence against the competitive scholarship scoring selection criteria. If the supporting evidence is not written in English, provide both the original and an English translation. These requirements must be met, with no exception, no later than 11.59pm (AWST) on Sunday, 2 September 2018.
- Future Students
- Higher Degree by Research
- Australian Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident
- New Zealand Citizen
- Permanent Humanitarian Visa
- International Student
- Merit Based
Stipend: Curtin University will administer to each Recipient an annual stipend equivalent to the base full-time RTP Stipend rate published by the Department of Education and Training for the relevant year of award. The annual stipend amount for a full-time student is currently set at $27,596.00 (2018), tax free, this stipend rate is indexed annually.
Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship: International applicants awarded an RTP Stipend Scholarship will be provided a Curtin-funded tuition fee offset scholarship to assist with tuition fee liability.
Period of Support: Recipients are entitled to three years full-time equivalent study if undertaking an eligible Research Doctorate and a maximum of two years full-time equivalent study if undertaking a Masters by Research. The duration of the Scholarship will be reduced by any period of study undertaken towards the degree prior to the commencement of the Scholarship.
Conditions of Award : Applicants are strongly encouraged to read the scholarship's Conditions of Award (COA), which detail relevant terms, conditions and allowances. The COA is found under the Research Scholarships section at: https://scholarships.curtin.edu.au/current/ug_term_cond.cfm#researchscholar
To be eligible for a Curtin Strategic Stipend Scholarship, an applicant must:
1. Be a student, Domestic or International, awarded an Curtin Strategic Stipend Scholarship (“Scholarship”) as result of a competitive selection process;
2. Satisfy all academic entry requirements for a Masters by Research or a Research Doctorate, including the English proficiency levels set by Curtin University;
3. Be undertaking a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at Curtin University; and
4. Not be receiving income from another source to support their general living costs while undertaking their course of study if that income is greater than 75 per cent of the RTP Stipend rate. Income unrelated to the Recipient’s course of study or income received for the Recipient’s course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
Competitive Scholarship Scoring Selection Criteria
To be considered in the scoring process, applicants will meet without concession, all relevant course entry requirements, including English language competency requirements, for entry to their nominated HDR course. Research degree English language requirements are detailed on: http://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/postgraduate/entry/
Applicants will be assessed against the following metrics:
1. Basis of admission;
2. Academic qualifications;
3. Achievement of candidacy;
4. Work-related research experience;
5. Academic accomplishments;
6. Research and creative outputs of demonstrable quality; and
7. Referee reports.
Unless there are exceptional circumstances, to take up this scholarship, applicants must be able to commence their scholarship in Research Term 1, 2019 (1 January – 30 June ) as a full-time internal student.
An applicant's research proposal must aligned with one or more of the applicant's enrolling Faculty's 2019 strategic focus areas listed below:
Faculty of Business and Law :
- Applied Economics
- Branding and Marketing
- International Business and Tourism
- Corporate Governance
- Organisational Psychology and Human Resource Management
Faculty of Health Sciences
- Biosciences & Metabolic Health;
- Neurosciences & Behaviour;
- Rehabilitation and Exercise Sciences;
- Public and Population Health;
- Clinical and Medical Care
Faculty of Humanities:
- Sustainable Human Environments: Architecture and Building (including BIM); Urban and Regional Planning; and Sustainable Development;
- Knowledge Innovation and Creative Economy: Media and Cultural Studies; Education (esp. Educational Technologies); Design, Creative Arts, Digital Humanities
- Social and Cultural Transformations: Anthropology and Sociology, Cultural Studies, Screen Studies, Education and Applied Linguistics, Geography, International Relations and Security Studies, Human Rights, History and Heritage, Creative Arts
Faculty of Science and Engineering:
- Resources and Energy
- Agriculture and Environment
- Earth and Planetary Sciences
Research and Creative Outputs:
Please list and number consecutively papers published, papers in press or finally accepted for publication in refereed journals over the last five years. The listing must indicate titles of papers, sequence of authors as shown in the paper, first and last page numbers, name, volume and date of journal and, for recent papers not yet published, a copy of the notification of acceptance by the journal’s editor is required. Please do not include papers submitted for publication but not yet accepted, or conference proceedings, abstracts or papers in this section unless these were published in a refereed journal.
Please follow one of the below two scholarship application processes based on your current enrolment status:
1. CURTIN APPLY NOW! eApplications process:
Interested applicants who have not yet applied for course admission may submit an online e-application for course admission and a scholarship via:
Important advice to applicant's applying through APPLY NOW! Curtin eApplications:
Applicants who commenced and had an active, pending course application on Curtin eApplication via APPLY NOW! prior to this scholarship opening date: Monday , 2 July 2018, and have subsequently submitted this application after the schoalrship opening round, will be required to complete a Scholarship Application Form (see process no.2) in order to be considered for a scholarship. Please only complete a Scholarship Application Form if your situation falls into this scenario. All other applicants must apply for the scholarship through APPLY NOW! Curtin eApplications.
2. Scholarship Application Form process:
Scholarship Application Form plus all relevant supporting documentation is to be submitted to GRS-Research Scholarships
Supporting documentation to be submitted with either the online eApplication or Scholarship Application Form:
1. Research Proposal
Your research proposal should be no more than 500 words (approximately 2 pages), must be clear and concisely written and must define the following critical information:
• Area of research (state the Faculty/School/Department in which your course of study lies)
• Clear statement of your research topic
• Brief overview of previous relevant research
• Objectives of the program of research and investigation
• Research methods and plan including references to key literature sources
• Proposed Principal Supervisor/s or the academic you’ve had preliminary discussions with
2. Curriculum Vitae
Where applicable, please ensure you include an employment record / CV / reference and letter from your current or past employer/s confirming your position and length of employment.
Further Curtin University funded financial assistance for Curtin HDR students :
Once candidancy is achieved, Curtin HDR students may access support towards the cost of research consumables and conference/research related travel.
The current consumable allowance is $2,000 per EFTSL* for laboratory based (high cost) research and $1,400 per year for non-laboratory based (low cost) research. This sum is pro-rated for part-time students.
Guidelines for student consumables can be found under "Essential Facilities" at : http://research.curtin.edu.au/postgraduate/current-students/policies-procedures/
* EFTSL = Equivalent Full Time Study Load
Curtin Univeristy English Language requirements:
Curtin Research Scholarship Forms and Templates :
- Curriculim Vitae template
- Primary Curtin Supervisor Referee report
- Supplementary Referee Report
- Guidelines for Research Proposal
All relevant Research Scholarship forms are available at : http://research.curtin.edu.au/postgraduate/scholarships/
Research Scholarships Conditions of Award: